Todays Special

Demography

Demography

Demography Of Gujarat
 

The population of Gujarat state was 60,383,628 according to the 2011 census data. The population density is 308 Km-2, lower than other Indian States. As per the census of 2011, the state has a sex ratio of 918 girls for every 1000 boys, 24th Rank among the 29 states in India.


While Gujarati speakers constitute a majority of Gujarat’s population, there exists a cosmopolitan atmosphere especially in the metropolitan areas of Ahmedabad and Surat. Marwaris and Biharis compose large minorities of economic migrants while smaller communities to be found are Nepalese, Portuguese, South Korean, Tamils, Oriyas, Telugus, Assamese, Bengali, Anglo-Indians, Armenians, Greeks, Jews, Tibetans, Maharastrians, Konkanis, Malayalees, Punjabis, and Parsis. The South Korean community traditionally, worked in the local tanning industry and ran restaurants. Sindhi presence is traditionally important here following the loss of their province post-partition.


Religion


Gujarat consists of people following Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Jainism, Buddhism, Christianity and Zoroastrianism, making it a religiously diverse state. Hinduism is major religion of the state, as 89.09% population of the state is Hindu. Muslims are the biggest minority in the state with 9.89% Gujarat is where Jains have the largest population outside Maharashtra and Rajasthan. The Zoroastrians, also known in India as Parsi and Irani, are believed to have migrated to Gujarat to maintain their traditions. They have also played an instrumental role in economic development with several of the best-known business conglomerates of India run by Parsi-Zoroastrians, including the Tata Godrej and Wada families.


Language


Gujarati is an Indo-Aryan language evolved from Sanskrit and local Prakrits, and is part of the greater Indo-European language family. It is native to the Indian state of Gujarat, and is its main language as well as of the adjacent union territories of Daman and Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli.


About 59 million people speak Gujarati, making it the 26th most-spoken native language fin the world. Along with Romani, Kutchi and Sindhi, it is amongst the most western of Indo-Aryan languages. The majority of the population in the state can speak Gujarati and Hindi, whilst people from the kutch region also speak Kutchi mother tongue and to a great extent appreciate Sindhi as well. Memoni is the mother tongue of Kathiawar and Sindhi Memons, most of them who are exclusively Muslims.


Almost 88% of the Gujarati Muslims speak Gujarati as their mother tongue, whilst the other 12% speak Urdu. A sizeable proportion of Gujarati Muslims are bilingual in both languages as Islamic academic institutions place a high prestige on learning Urdu, Arabic and Persian, memorising the Quran and ahadith, and emphasising the oral and literary importance of mastering these rich languages as a compulsory rite of religion. Other native languages spoken in low proportions are Bhili and Gamit, which are spoken exclusively among the tribals.


Marathi is spoken by a large number of prople in Vadodara and Surat. Apart from this English, Marwari, Sindhi, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, Bengali, Oriya, Malayalam, and others are spoken by a considerable number of economic migrants that have flocked to the state in recent decades seeking employment and higher standards of living.