L D Museum Of Indology
The Lalbhai Dalpatbhai Institute of Indology, Ahmedabad was started in 1956, to preserve a repository of rare art, manuscripts and archaeological objects of India. In 1984, a museum was opened to cover topics ranging from Buddhism, Jainism and its darshans, grammar, tantra and poetry, Vedas and other different branches of Indian Philosophy. The museum houses about 76000 hand written Jain manuscripts with 500 illustrated versions and 45000 printed books, making it the largest collection of Jain Scripts. It has precious old books written in languages such as Sanskrit, Pali, Old Gujarati, Apabhramsa, Hindi and Rajasthani. It also showcases Indian sculptures, terracottas, miniature paintings, cloth paintings, printed scrolls, bronzes, woodwork, Indian coins, textiles and decorative art, paintings of Rabindranath Tagore and art of Nepal and Tibet.
The Lalbhai Dalpatbhai Museum (also known as L. D. Museum) is a museum of Indian Sculptures, Bronzes, Manuscript Paintings, Miniature Paintings and Drawings, Wood carving pieces, ancient and contemporary Coins and lastly Bead work art pieces. Ever since its inception in 1956, the L.D. Institute of Indology has been collecting and preserving rare manuscripts and artifacts of various kinds, some of which are handed over to the L.D. Museum. The Museum is the product of the vision and energy of two remarkable persons who were responsible for its establishment: Muni Shri Punyavijayaji, an erudite monk scholar and Sheth Kasturbhai Lalbhai, the well-known industrialist of Ahmedabad. As the collection grew over the years, the Board of Trustees (of the Lalbhai Dalpatbhai Bharatiya Sanskriti Vidyamandir), felt strongly the need for a separate museum building to house the display of its collection. Consequently, a new museum building was built adjacent to the existing building of the Institute, which was also designed by the internationally acclaimed architect, Shri Balkrishna Doshi. The collection in the new museum building was opened to the public in 1984 and was formally inaugurated by Shri Braj Kumar Nehru (Governor of Gujarat) in 1985.
The collection is rich and varied. It includes seventy-five thousand manuscripts on palm and paper, many with painting dating back several centuries. The other treasure include stone bronze and wood sculptures. Indian miniatures, painting on cloth, painted scolls in the form of the ‘letter of invitation’ known as Vijanpatipatra, textiles, woodwork and Indian coins.
Note: Photography is not permitted
Lalbhai Dalpatbhai Museum
Nr. Gujarat University,
Navrangpura, Ahmedabad – 380009
Tuesday to Sunday: 10:30 am to 5:30 pm
Closed on all Mondays and public holidays
Visiting Fees: No Entry Fee.