The Food & Drugs Laboratory is established for the testing of Drugs samples for the enforcement of Drugs & Cosmetics Act, 1940 & Rules thereunder and also for testing of Food samples for enforcement of prevention of Food Adulteration Act, 1954.
The laboratory established as early as 1947 during the time, Baroda was a princely state. Later in 1959, when Gujarat became a separate state, the laboratory became the testing laboratory of Gujarat State Drugs Control Administration for analysing the drugs samples. In September 1979, Public Health Laboratory, Vadodara and Bhuj engaged in testing of food samples under prevention of Food Adulteration Act 1954 were merged with Drugs laboratory, Vadodara and present laboratory called Food And Drugs laboratory, Vadodara. This Laboratory is also analysing the samples of Excise received from Excise Inspectors of the state.
In the second five-year plan, laboratory was under the stage of establishment and at the end of 1964-65, laboratory had analysed 765 Drugs samples with limited staff of 95 persons. This laboratory grew to its present stage under the Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh and Eighth five years plans. During the year 1983-84, Food Laboratory of Rajkot was established for testing of Food samples and Excise samples of Saurashtra Region. At present Food & Drugs Laboratory , Vadodara is capable of analysing all category of Drugs (except Sera & Vaccines) with capacity of 9372 Drugs samples and 8527 Food commodities alongwith 2000 Excise samples. Regional Food Laboratory, Rajkot has capacity of analysing 1795 food samples and 1300 Excise samples, while regional Food Laboratory, Bhuj has a capacity of analysing 4039 food samples. Analytical Reports of the samples are forwarded to the respective authorities for further action.
The Indian System of Medicine i.e.Ayurvedic Drugs are gaining the popularity among the people. This laboratory has carried out analytical work on 58 Ayurvedic formulations of which standards and specification have been established for testing and reporting.
The laboratory has the following divisional laboratories namely
|Pharmaceutical Chemistry Division|
The laboratory has also ancillary services like Library, Workshop, Art and Photography Section, Statistical and Planning Cell, Cold Storage, Animal House, Stores and Administrative Section
The divisional laboratories are provided with modern equipments. The laboratory has staff from different discipline like Pharmacy, Chemistry, Microbiology and Botany. Divisional Laboratories are in the charge of Senior Scientific Officer while the whole Laboratory is incharge of Joint Commissioner (Testing), including those at Bhuj and Rajkot. The laboratory is participating in the collaborative work for establishment of National Standards organised by Central Indian Pharmacopoeial Laboratory, Ghaziabad for amendments to be made in the Indian Pharmacopoeia are referred to in the matter. The problems for research work are generally undertaken during routine analytical work. Some of the problems undertaken are published in reputed journals.
Laboratory officials actively participate as members of various committees and councils like Indian Pharmacopoeia Committe & sub-committees, Drugs Advisory Boards, Bureau of Indian Standards Committees etc.
Computerisation of Drugs & Food samples, Administrative and accounts matter such as paybill etc. is carried out and total computerisation of working of the Laboratory is under consideration.In short, the Laboratory possess required infrastructure in divisional Laboratories, qualified technical staff and can perform a lot more provided it is being supported and encouraged from concerned higher authorities.